Snake River Farms Gold – Dry-Aging program
We are proud to work with the Iconic brand Snake River Farms who in our view produce some of the finest wagyu beef around in the world today. We specifically chose SRF for our dry-aging program because the primals retains their beef flavour and although extremely well-marbled it is not too fatty. This combination of flavour and fat cover makes it extremely suitable for dry aging.
We generally only dry-age 2 primals; namely; whole 7 Bone ribs and whole Shortloins (T-Bones).
The process involves the following steps:
- We initially wet age the primals in a vacuum bag for 2-3 weeks, this allows the muscles to relax slightly and the connective tissues begin to soften
- We open the vacuum bags and dry out the slab in front of the fan of our walk-in fridge overnight, removing any blood and starting a crust to form on the outside of the slab
- The next step is to place it in our dry aging cabinet where the humidity is set at a constant 75% and the temperature at 3 degrees Celsius
- Our Butcher will check and rotate the primals twice daily
- The low temperature and constant low humidity allows the beefs natural enzymes to slowly break down the fat and connective tissue making the beef incredibly tender
- At the same time, the water that is naturally held in the beef is slowly dehydrated, the resulted beef flavour is concentrated
- The Slab will shrink in size and weight and will usually lose around 10% mass over a 30 day period
- As the fat and connective tissue start to break down they take on flavours of nuts, truffes and blue cheese.
- Once the aging process is complete (minimum 21 days, maximum 60 days) our butcher will remove the slab from the cabinet and prepare it by carefully trimming all of the outer crust and then butchering the slab into on-the-bone steak (Op Rib & Porterhouse) On average a further 10% of the pre-aged weight is lost in this process
- Once the steak is cooked, the fat renders into the meat, imparting its flavour and also bastes the steak making it extremely juicy, tender, and flavourful
We sell our dry-aged beef in 2 formats:
- You buy a whole slab, we will tag it with your name and custom age it for you, and then cut and pack it to your specification. Any loss through trimming and dehydration is included in the original purchase price
- We do occasionally offer portioned 1kg steaks that have already been aged, these may seem expensive, however, please consider that the original beef is some of the best in the world, there has been a 20% weight loss from the unaged weight plus we have spent 45 days taking care of it twice per day.