Red Wine Braised Beef Rib Fingers – Serves 4-5
- 600 grams (1 pack) beef ribs rib fingers cut into cubes
- 2 Tablespoons plain flour
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 of an onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 sticks celery chopped
- 3 cloves garlic sliced thickly
- 1 whole bottle of good dry red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until just smoking. Season the ribs with the flour, salt and pepper and sear on top and bottom until brown and crispy. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves and garlic to the pan and cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Pour in the wine and thyme, bring to a boil over a high heat. Take a casserole dish and place the ribs inside
- Pour the wine mixture over the ribs and add the stock. Place the lid on top and put it into the oven.
- Cook for 2 hours and then stir the meat. Cook for a further 30 minutes without the lid. Transfer the meat to a plate and cover with foil. Strain the leftover liquid into a pan and reduce further until it thickens. Add a couple teaspoons of cornstarch/water mixture if you need it thickened faster.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and the sauce poured over the ribs. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.